ENDUR-ACIN® is a clinically effective therapy for dyslipidemia, study shows
- ENDUR-ACIN® decreases LDL-cholesterol by 27% and increases HDL-cholesterol by 17%, on average
- Effective amounts of ENDUR-ACIN® range from 1,500-2,000 mg/day
- ENDUR-ACIN® therapeutic benefits for hypercholesterolemia and/or low HDL-cholesterol.
This 6-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial, completed by researchers at the National Research Center for Preventive Medicine, Moscow, Russia, investigated the therapeutic effect of ENDUR-ACIN® for dyslipidemia.
For this study, researchers enrolled 40 men and women, aged 35 to 70 years, with high blood cholesterol (225-300 mg/dl) after following a heart healthy diet for 2 months. Patients received ENDUR-ACIN® wax matrix niacin in dosages of 1,500-2,000 mg/day. Total, HDL-, and LDL-cholesterol and triglyceride were assessed.
Of the 40 patients, 75% (30/40) were responsive to treatment based on reduction in LDL-cholesterol. In the non- responsive group no significant changes occurred in lipid variables. In the responsive group, significant improvements from baseline were reported for total cholesterol, LDL and HDL cholesterol as follows:
- Total Cholesterol: 17% decrease (257+3.5 to 213+4.1 mg/dl)
- LDL Cholesterol: 27% decrease (183+5.0, to 133+5.9 mg/dl)
- HDL Cholesterol: 17% increase (47+2.6 to 55+2.8 mg/dl)
The ability of ENDUR-ACIN® to improve total, LDL- and HDL-cholesterol levels indicates that it has therapeutic benefits for patients with hypercholesterolemia as well as patients with low HDL-cholesterol.